There Must To Be More To Life Than This

The Magician's Greatest Pay

www.zlwinmagic.com

One of the greatest rewards for being a magician are the smiles, laughters and applause you get once you have entertain your audience truly. The picture here was taken at The Curve during one of my recent gig. This girl gave the nicest smile ever when she saw my magic.

Building Bridges Through Magic

www.zlwinmagic.com

Another fun thing about magic is that you get to meet different people; some down right nasty and some really really friendly. I met this group at Urbanattic, Capsquare. Nice people who just wants to have good fun. among them are two actors, Tony Eusoff and Jay.

Magic @ Zouk Club, Kuala Lumpur

www.zlwinmagic.com

Zlwin does walkabout close-up magic at Zouk every weekend. Look out for him if you are there to dance the night away!

The Watchmen

www.zlwin.com

Watchmen watches what no one watches and does what no one does. They would lay down their lives watching and protecting. They stand guard over the people that needs them but do not want them. They take up responsibilities which otherwise no one would want. Do you want to be a watchman? "What does it matter..." you ask.

Zlwin Chew - Magician, Minister.

www.zlwinmagic.com

Magic is something that seems like it goes against how the world works and it is us magicians who has the privilege to demonstrate it. There are no tricks in magic, only wonderment. – Zlwin Chew

Zlwin Chew’s New Website Is Launched!

www.zlwin.com

Zlwin has designed a new website and is no longer with Blogspot anymore. From today onwards, this site will be his official site where he will be posting his usual Christian devotional materials as well as some other stuff. Do drop by every now and then. And please bear with the upcoming and ongoing changes that will happen in this website. He is trying to improve it little by little as the each moon ends its shift and as he gains more knowledge on website designing. Have a good read! God bless!

Acts 20:24

www.zlwin.com

However , I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me – the task of testifying to the Gospel of God’s grace

The Worldwide Magician Directory

www.magician-directory.com

A worldwide directory of magicians. Thousands of magicians have their profile uploaded here as well as links to their websites. Visit the Magician Directory to find out more about your local magician.

\

Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Whole Night of Scary Fun and an Unfortunate Event!

Woo hoo!!!

It was Halloween Night last night and I was at KDU College with a few friends of mine. It was AWESOME!!! Su Ling hired me to come and perform some close-up strolling magic at her college’s Halloween party. So I decided to go and I brought along two friends of mine who are also into magic, Simon Kong and Christopher Cheong.

Sit back and relax and read this post haha. This is really fun. To give you a slight synopsis: we went there by two cars and came back with one car in good condition, one car with a nearly blown up engine and one huge TOW TRUCK!!! Wakaka!!! And we came back with a whole lot of fun and experience and also a whole lot of love.

To start off. I drove my car and Simon and Jian Quin was with me. We met David Supramaniam at the Jusco ESSO Petrol station. Don Desmond was with David. So we went together to KDU College in the two cars and we arrived at 5pm sharp. Then we met Su Ling and got our tickets to enter. Jian Quin, Don and David went straight to the front and got themselves really good seatings. The atmosphere was tensed and everyone was so excited haha. I could see the crew members running up and down trying to get things done and Su Ling was so so busy. Then I met up with another magician for the night and his name is Nazri. So we got ready and then started working from 5pm to about 10pm. It was really fun performing close up magic to the people there. There were quite a number of good audience and also some nasty ones who only wants to screw you up. But too bad for you dude, no one screws me up =)

There were a lot of performances. Some are good and some too good but overall all did their best I believe and everyone had a great time. I personally enjoyed the Beatbox guy Aloysius. He was really talented in beatboxing. I pity the microphone and the one that is going to clean it haha. I bet it stinks terribly. Two thumbs up to the whole planning committee at KDU College for organizing this one night of really good event and party. The bands were awesome, the settings were so Halloween-ie and everything was just good. Plus the air cond was in good working condition haha. It’s good for magicians like me who wear coats and perform, we sweat a lot. The music was great and the sound system was not too bad. The dances were awesome! I love them. And 90% of the people there were in really cool Halloween costumes. All efforts put into it paid off. Great job KDU.

I personally enjoyed performing for the people there. As I was performing I learnt a lot of new things that I could not learn through DVDs or books. I could saw the experience was really worth my time practicing. I consider myself fortunate because I did not spot any hecklers. Hecklers are basically magicians’ word to describe people who are born to hate magic and only wants to destroy your performance. Everyone that I performed to enjoyed and I enjoyed as well. One of the magician’s pay is to see your audience smiling and laughing and enjoying the performance. That is priceless!

I want to thank Simon Kong for coming alongside me to support me and help me out in any ways possible. He helped me to take photographs and was there to support me. Thank you, Simon. Christopher was a friend I recently got to know and he is one good guy. I am glad that you both enjoyed and I hope you learnt a lot last night performance-wise.

And now the fun part haha.

It was 9.30 and David, Jian Quin and Don wanted to go off but I kind of wanted to stay back and perform more. Being good friends, they said they didn’t mind waiting and David quoted, “Together we come, together we go.” I did not know how precious that was until what happened later on. So they stayed awhile more for my sake and I managed to entertain them with a few magic routines of mine. Then we left about 10.15pm.

I drove tailing behind David’s car because I did not know the way back. So we drove and passed the first toll which was the Damansara Puchong Toll. Then… the unexpected happened… my car broke down!!! My worst fear! Ahh!!!

I panicked and then quickly called David, thank God he waited for me after the toll by the side of the road. We all got down from the car and together we pushed the car to the side and thought of ways to mend the situation. So we tried jumpstarting the car but it didn’t work. Then I flagged down a taxi driver and he was kind enough to spare us some of his precious time to help us but it did not work also. And David was busy talking with his dad to get help and advice. Then we went to the toll and got help. Waited for almost an hour and then 5 PLUS Highway Patrol personnel came and help us.

We were shocked at what he told us. What happened was we took out the battery for my car and we placed it back but I did not know that I placed it the wrong position and when we fixed the wires there was smoke and something burnt. The guy told us that we were fortunate the car did not blow up! Gosh! Thank God! How silly I was to simply put the battery haha.
Then they were very helpful and tried to help us but too bad they could not do anything and we had to call for a Tow Truck service. Don then called up Melvin from church and gave us a cheap tow service for only RM130 when other tow services are charging us RM180. Thank God for Christian brothers. And then we got hold of Hermann and we decided to tow my car to Hermann’s workshop in Bukit Tinggi. Throughout the time my friends were there to help me and they were busy making calls and getting help. I appreciate that. Jian Quin and Don were helping me to make calls and sending sms. Pastor Gurmit and Pastor John called me up to ask about my situation also. David also gathered us together and he prayed, that was very encouraging. And while waiting for help David entertained us with his jokes haha. He is so spontaneous. If they weren’t there I wouldn’t know what to do. David was right when he said, “Together we come, together we go.”

More on this in my next post. Enjoy the pictures. And see what fun we had posing for the camera when my car broke down haha.

David, Don, Jain Quin and Simon, thank you so much for your help and support and your presence there in times like this. A big hug for you all. God bless!


This is Nazri, the other magician for the night. He was into metal bending. At the end of the event, there were lots of boken and bent spoons and forks on the floor everywhere haha.


My first group of audience were a group of international students from Yemen. They were a fun group and I was happy to perform for them.


The smiles is all a magician needs to see to get him going on and doing better.



It is good to see them being amazed =) I did some mind reading with them. One of my routines was causing a finger ring to penetrate into a rubber band. They were thrilled when they saw me linking two rings together. By the way, this nice guy's name is Ali.


Su Ling the Not-So-Red-Indian Girl. She was the busy lady that night runnign all over the place haha.


Performing to some band members before the show began. At the backgroud is Christopher Cheong. Too bad I did not take many pictures of him Sorry bro.


A little magic with newspapers hehe.


Entertaining them while they waited for the show to start.


This is a very nice setting for the theme last night. Haha.


The very beautiful backdrop on stage and hyped-up dancers and performers.


I saw this three girls standing and they seem bored so I thought I might enetertain them with my magic. They turned out to be really good audience, the best that night I think. They were very friendly and enjoyed my performance. Here in this picture you can see me unlink two linked rubber bands right on front of their eyes. I could see the wonder in their eyes and their smiles. Love it.


"Watch carefully... Find the right spot... and they magically unlink..." =) David Copperfield did the very same magic but his performance was in front of a live TV program and a few hundreds audience in the hall haha. Mine is close up.



They couldn't beieve their eyes when I magically glued four previously examined silks together. The silks were handed out to them for checks before I did my thing =D


The usual me always loving to be infront of the camera.


This two couples had a good time with me too. I poked their 50 ringgit note with a pen and mend it together again.


A habit of mine, always wanting to take pictures with them after I am done performing hehe. Their names are: From left, Johnson, Lily, Wai Keat and Elaine. =)


I performed to some of the crew members who were looking after the food stall.


Oh the laughters and smiles. So rewarding.


=D love it!


Haha the silks.


I forgot her name. I make it a point to introduce myself before my performance and also get to know their names but I always forget. Only remember a few =(


On my left is Brenda! She was at GY Camp last year, too bad she is not coming this year =(


Simon Kong performing some psychokinesis. He moved the key in his palm with his mind powers. Awesome!


Rubber bands.


The girl in white didn't really enjoy my magic. She kind of sacarsticly said, "You bought that at a magic stall didn't you?"

Well for your information. Guitarists buy their guitars from a music store. Drummers buy their drums from a music store. Photographers buy their cameras from a camera store. And I could go on and on, you get what I mean right? And musicians PRACTICE hard in order to get better in their skills. Photographers READs alot of magazines to improve on their knowledge.

So we magicians buy DVDs and Books from a magic store. And we magicians PRACTICE very very hard to get a trick right and to be able to do it well. We are just the same as any other people and their hobbies. I don't understand why people don't hate musicians but they hate magicians. Sad.

Good magicians put in alot of time, effort and money in making themselves better. When you see a magician and you think he is good, give him the priceless pay that is your applause, which do not cost you anything, unless you are envious of the magician. If you see a magician that is not so good, do not mock him and try to sabotage him. Instead walk away quietly and continue with whatever you are doing.

I look cheeky hehe.


Simon Kong doing his thing =)


Oh I love to see happiness =)


Okay. That guy on my right was one fellow that made my night a little bad. But I managed to get over it. I don't know what is his name and I don't think I care to know. Let me tell you what happened.

After performing to him and his group of girl-friends (about 6-7 of them), I thanked them for their time and left. Then I continued performing to afew more people. Then I saw him standing and watching a performance. As I passed by him I just wanted to be myself and be nice and I asked, "Hey, not cold ah you?" and I smiled. He just stared at me with his hands in his pocket and replied, "Do I know you?". His tone was very UNFRIEDLY. And I said, "I was the magician that performed to you just now?" his reply was, "Do I know you... PERSONALLY" and his tone got even more UNFRIENDLY and he continued to stare at me. I looked at him and walked away.

Man, I felt like giving him a punch! That was so RUDE of him!!!

If you are reading this, I just want to tell you that I pity you. You might think you have a "great" body and want to show off. But I tell you that you have a sad personality. I hope you will change. I did nothing wrong, just wanting to make friends. Maybe you didn't like me performing to your girl-friends. But I don't care man. I am just doing my job.

Simon haha. Naughty boy.


This was the group of girls that I was performing to with the unfriendly half naked guy. The girls were a fun lot, they were responsive and I think they enjoyed. And I enjoyed performing to them too. I remembered the girl with the Big Specs, her name is Funky haha. Nickname. And the girl second from left is Zoe.


The killer and the devil with wings. haha.


Simon and Christopher both did a good job entertaining the people. A round of applause to both of them.


I could see the guy really enjoyed Simon's performance. Good job!


From left: Don Desmond, Jian Quin, Su Ling, Romeo and Juliet, no no I mean Brokeback Mountain... no no, um it's David Supramaniam haha. Yes that is an Indian name and yes he is white. And no he is not Michael Jackson. His dad is an Indian and mum a Chinese. He came out this color. Ori. Tulen. No joke.


The dark angel again! =)


Simon and three Japanese girls.


Hahahaahahahahahahaah!!! This is the most enjoyable time of the night haha. That is Don and I pushing the car and Jian Quin driving it. Simon took this shot. David's car was in front waiting for us.




HAHAHAHA!!! Jian Quin!!! What are you doing??!?!?!?! Posing?!?!? Dancing???? Haha! I think she was tying to stop traffic. Damsel in distress. She is like in a Salsa pose. Can you imagine it? Really hilariuos. Zoom in and get a better pic =)


REAL MEN doing what MEN does best...



Apa la! Got time to pose also haha.


We tried to jumpstart the car but didn't work.


David poser la. Jian Quin too.



Don and Jian Quin busy helping me make calls to get help from Church friends.


David now tries to flirt with Jian Quin.


After like 2 whole hours the tow truck finally came! Thanks to our church buddy Melvin for helping us get the tow truck at such low price. And what is this haha. Tow Truck also want to pose?

This malay uncle was very friendly to me. He spoke to me while on the way back from Damansara to Klang and he even offered me a smoke. Of course I turned that down. I didn't want to kill myself haha. Anyway I am glad to have such friendly people helping a stranger like me. The PLUS Highway guys were friendly as well.


The last shot for the night =)

Thank you David, Don, Jian Quin and Simon for all the help. I would have gone cuckoo without you guys around. In this kind of situation sometimes it is hard to stay calm and think the best solution haha. But you guys were they with happy faces all the while (maybe it is because it's not your car haha) and kept me felling good.

Thank you! *hugs!

No comments:

    Man In The Mirror

    . A very nice song from the late Michael Jackson. "If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change."

    Shout It Out


    ZlwinMagic

    About Zlwin Chew

    He is a person who is sold out for Jesus. Nothing can move him once he has set his mind on doing and achieving something. Once he is set for one thing, no one can tell him otherwise.

    He blogs, but he blogs differently. The world blogs about themselves, nothing but me, myself and I. But Zlwin Chew blogs his God. He believes that a blog is a powerful medium in which one can tell the world about what He, Himself and God has done in me, meself and I. God needs to be glorified, even online. The world needs to hear what it does not want to hear but need to hear. The world need to know what it does not want to know but need to know.

    Zlwin Chew is also a magician who has a heart and passion to enhance his Gospel sharing with the aid of magical effects and illusions. His magic portfolio can be found at http://www.zlwinmagic.com/

    He loves photography as well. Capturing time in frames is his passion. His photography blog can be found at http://www.zlwinchew.blogspot.com/

    He is radical. He wants to be radical. He wants to be different. Because everyone thinks outside of the box, he thinks inside of the box. He is different. And he does not care how people view him. He only cares how God views him. Zlwin Chew is a Jesus Freak.

    And he dare you to do something radical. He dare you to...

    BLOG GOD...